Established in 1984, LifePoint was originally known as the South Carolina Organ Procurement Agency (SCOPA). The organization was incorporated in South Carolina on. Oct 3, 1988, and the name was changed to LifePoint on June 15, 2001.
In January 2003, LifePoint and the South Carolina Lions Eye Bank merged services to provide a more efficient donor program for the state. (The Ocular Division of LifePoint was initially established by the Lions of South Carolina in 1957.) Through the merger, the Lions continue to play an integral role in the donor program by serving on LifePoint’s Board of Directors.
In January 2005, the American Red Cross Southeastern Tissue Services ceased recovering tissue nationwide so LifePoint now also handles tissue recovery in addition to organ and ocular recovery within our South Carolina service area.
In May 2015, LifePoint announced that it is transferring its ocular department to Miracles in Sight (MIS) headquartered in Winston Salem, North Carolina. The leaders at LifePoint recognize eye bank specialization and consolidation of services are essential to meeting the future needs for cornea transplants and ocular surgeons in South Carolina. LifePoint continues as the organ procurement organization (OPO) and tissue recovery organization for South Carolina and remains dedicated to honoring people’s end-of-life wishes to be organ and tissue donors.